The Big Money 20 are incumbents who represent the worst of Washington’s rigged system. They do the bidding of special interests like drug companies, Big Oil, Wall Street, and others with deep pockets while also voting to stack the deck in their favor – at the expense of the American people.
When it comes to choosing between the greed of his mega-donors or the needs of his constituents, Congressman Ryan Costello has chosen his mega-donors time and again.
- Costello represents a district that has seen fatal opioid overdoses increase by approximately 50 percent in 2016. Costello has received $300,000 in campaign donations from the pharmaceutical industry over his career, and cosponsored a bill that made it harder for the Drug Enforcement Administration to control the supply of prescription narcotics.
- Costello sold his constituents out for $300,000. That’s just about forty-six cents per constituent.
- He received over $50,000 in contributions from the telecom industry in 2017, and co-sponsored a bill allowing major internet companies to sell customer data without their consent.
- Costello voted for the tax bill, the top priority for Republican mega-donors. It would raise taxes on 13 million Americans who earn less than $100,000 a year, while half of the benefits would go to the top one percent in the country.
- To ensure the system remains rigged in favor of his special interest donors, Costello voted against campaign finance reforms that would ensure the American people knew who is spending money in elections. He voted against forwarding the DISCLOSE Act and a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United.
The only way to stop this cycle of pay-to-play politics is to defeat the politicians who are bought by the special interests and rig the system in their favor. End Citizens United has made the Big Money 20 a priority for its $35 million campaign to throw these incumbents out of office and elect reformers who will put focus on all of us, not those who write the biggest checks.
For the full list of Big Money 20 targets, click here.
Sign up to receive email updates from
END CITIZENS UNITED