As MAGA extremists threatened democracy, End Citizens United // Let America Vote led the fight to elect candidates committed to protecting the voice and vote of every American. In the 2022 election:
- ECU was a leading partner working to protect the Senate and House majorities by supporting anti-corruption and pro-democracy candidates.
- For the first time, ECU engaged in secretary of state and attorney general races through a new Democracy Defenders program, making it one of the largest issue groups in those races.
- ECU uplifted candidates through campaign events and press events, fundraising, research and messaging support, polling, and paid communications.
By the Numbers
Total raised and spent for anti-corruption and pro-democracy candidates and legislation
- $80.2 million total raised and spent in the 2022 cycle
- $36.5 million on electoral and issue advocacy paid communications
- $10 million on grassroots and grasstops issue organizing
- $4.2 million raised and donated directly to candidates
Supporting Anti-Corruption and Pro-Democracy Candidates
- 210 candidates endorsed
- 17 U.S. Senate
- 103 U.S. House
- 12 Gubernatorial
- 18 Attorney General and Secretary of State
- 60 State Legislative
- 94% of victory rate in primaries
- 100% victory rate in state and local primaries
- 18 paid communication independent expenditures
- 52% on behalf of candidates of color
- 59% on behalf of female candidates
- 55 events held for candidates across the country
- 27,000 miles traveled
- 53 candidates
- 14 states
Elevating Pro-Democracy and Anti-Corruption Issues
- $150,000 raised and donated for ballot initiatives
- Voting rights initiative in Michigan
- Anti-corruption initiative in Oakland, California
- Anti-corruption initiative in Maine
- 170 federal candidates running in the general election who reject corporate PAC money
- 155 Democratic House candidates
- 15 Democratic Senate candidates
- An increase from 155 candidates in 2020 and 124 candidates in 2018
- 28.3% of competitive Senate Democratic ads on democracy issues
- 14.5% of House Democratic ads on democracy issues
- 20 Republicans targeted in Big Money 20
- 14 election deniers inducted into the Voter Suppression Hall of Shame
- Scorecard: 2022 State Democracy Scorecard
- Report: Under Threat: How Election Deniers Could Thwart the Next Election
- 72% of Americans think democracy is under threat according to a CBS News poll
- 86% of those attributed it to money corrupting our system (the top answer among Democrats and Republicans)
- 74% of voters think American democracy is under threat according to a Quinnipiac poll
- 21% of voters rank threats to democracy as most important issues, overtaking all other issues in an NBC News poll
- 75% or more of voters support a number of reforms to end dark money, protect the freedom to vote, and crack down on corruption
On the Trail
Senate and House Races
ECU worked hand in hand with Democratic Senate and House candidates who ran on messages of anti-corruption and protecting our democracy. In support of its endorsed candidates, ECU ran paid communications, provided fundraising, research and messaging support, and made campaign stops in states across the county.
ECU launched its first ever Democracy Defenders for preeminent attorney general and secretary of state candidates in the 2022 cycle. These candidates are a critical line of defense against extremist politicians trying to corrupt our politics and undermine our democracy.
Through the Democracy Defender program, ECU uplifted candidates through campaign events and press events, fundraising, research and messaging support, polling, and paid communications.
End Citizens United ran independent expenditures in 18 key state and federal races this cycle.